Monday, August 11, 2008

An Explosive Reminder


Around 3:40am Sunday morning a propane facility, located approximately 3.5km from our home, exploded.

Kevyn was on his way to the washroom when the house began to shake and the clap from the blast roared through our home as if an enormous thunder cloud had just popped a mere 10 feet above us.

We were both shaken and confused. As Kev ran to the back door to look out I lifted up our curtains to check the out the front.

A few seconds later Kev began yelling "Baby! Baby Baby!"

I was all like "I saw it! I saw it! I saw it!"

You'd be amazed how well an exploding propane holding tank can illuminate the night sky.

During the 30 minutes between the initial blast and the moment I learned what had happened, my mind raced through all kinds of possible scenarios, the good, the bad and the ugly.

But what has stuck with me the most during the last day and a half is the reminder that we aren't guaranteed 80 + years of life, all we ever have is the present moment.

And in the end it's not the years of your life that count, it's the life in your years.
-Abraham Lincoln

I took the top photograph from the park by our house. The video below is one of the many that have been posted on YouTube.





Two lives were lost and thousands of residents were evacuated from their homes. My thoughts and prayers go out to them and their families.

2 comments:

Ben said...

It's the best life ever, not the best life forever. That's part of the inspiration I guess :)

i am playing outside said...

I'm glad you're both ok. I was shocked when I heard that only two people were killed. That was a miracle... the damage could have been MUCH worse.

Sadly, there may never be a determined cause of something like this... it would simply happen in an instant.