Tuesday, November 18, 2008

15 2 15 4


One of my greatest moments of enlightenment came about last year when I discovered that my feelings were just that... mine.

Before this realization I used to find myself getting caught up playing the high drama game 'You're Making Me Feel...' with other people.

Let me assure you, this is not a two person game. We are all, 100%, responsible for our own feelings.

Now, having said that I want you to know that I'm still a huge proponent of sharing your feelings with others be them good, bad or ugly. But remember to share them as yours.

For example, I might say to Kevyn, 'I feel hurt when you make fun of the flat spot on my head in front of our friends.' Here I'm recognizing they are my feelings not feelings I'm accusing him of making me have.

But, I am providing him with information.

What he decides to do with that information is completely up to him.

And that's how I figure we establish who to spend our precious time with. The people who do right with the information they are provided with.

Or as Oprah might say 'When we know better, we do better.'

Bottom line, there are games worth playing and others that aren't.

Now cribbage, she's a worthy one.

4 comments:

The Maiden Metallurgist said...

Oh yeah, cribbage.

Suze said...

I love cribbage. We used to play every day when I was in the military. Well, right after we did military stuff :)

i am playing outside said...

you know, you quote a lot of people in your blog. but i think that one day, you will be the one that people are quoting.

justme said...

amen sista! i found this same philosophy out, only a few years ago. what a difference it makes in your life!