Monday, December 1, 2008

A Reevaluation

makes me happy.



At work on Friday evening one of my co workers told me the tragic story of the Walmart employee who was trampled and killed by the press of bargain hunters out for deals on Black Friday.

This made me sad. Very sad.

I've actually been thinking about it a lot over the past few days and even initiated a very open and honest conversation about how we as a family, (Kevyn, myself, and if we are so lucky, one day our children) will navigate the tradition of gift giving.

There, of course, was the part about raising children that aren't materialistically driven, teaching children to value people, love, happiness and time more then stuff.

Still, just as we enjoying doing now, Kevyn and I will always want to participate in the joy of watching someone we love open a gift we've put our time, energy, and money into.

So, the criteria we came up with to ensure we keep this a joyful experience...

Stay within budget and keep it fun.

I believe there is an energy that goes along with any gift we give and I'd rather give small gifts loaded with love rather then plenty of gifts full of stress and anxiety.

At the end of the day, I'll always have faith that my family, friends and even the children in my life would appreciate my happiness, health and LIFE over any material gift I could ever get 50% off of at Walmart at 5 o'clock in the morning.

Perhaps, if this tragedy motivates enough of us to reevaluate the way we want to give over this special season, this young man's death, will be in a little less vain.

My thoughts and love go out to his family and friends.

2 comments:

i am playing outside said...

a very sad story indeed :( the most upsetting part was that people demanded their right to keep shopping, even after they heard the news. its sickening.

in terms of the way you and kevyn would raise kids [should those kids be so lucky!], i think you have no worries. i know you will pass on your joys of re-purposing old items that still have life left in them, and the plethora of good values that i've come to know you for over the past year and a half!

Jennifer Herd said...

I stumbled upon your blog and I love it! It's full o' good vibes.

And this story about the wal-mart tragedy is so crazy!! You'd think the shoppers would NOTICE someone lying on the ground! Wow.

I agree with you though. This is an example of how society is straying from peace and happiness and becoming too wrapped up in Owning Things.

Anyways keep up the good work on your blog, and happy holidays!!! :)