Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Extracurricular Activities

make me happy.



Three years ago my good friend The Juice, pictured above, asked me join his team that plays in a men's hockey league.

I told him that I haven't played hockey since I was a teenager and I also lost my equipment sometime in the 90's. The 90's were very blurry. Fun, but blurry.

It then dawned on me that I was making excuses to myself not to try something new. Was I was afraid of the cost? Afraid of what the other players might think of my abilities? Afraid of another night away from my soul mate? You name it, I came up a reason not to play.

But I loved playing hockey. It made no sense.

It didn't really cross my mind again until the next summer when my birthday rolled around and the most thoughtful person I ever met...Stacy, of course, honoured me with a gift certificate for a local hockey store. Best wife ever!

So I did it. I put all my demons to bed and I joined the team 3 years ago and have been looking forward to Tuesday nights ever since. Hanging with a great group of guys, getting my game legs back, seeing The Juice on a regular basis, and I still fitting in some QT with my special lady... usually.

Sometimes the games are late, and it's on those nights she's already out like a light. However she always wakes up enough to ask me if I had fun. "Yeah babe, best life ever" is the usual reply.

Score!

2 comments:

Kristen Gale said...

this is just so so sweet. Too much! love it! Could you guys be any cuter. answer: no!

justme said...

did the same thing with my husband too. he started playing again this week on TUESDAYS after three years. loves it.