Monday, January 19, 2009

No Excuses

makes me happy.


I use to make excuses.

I was good at it too. I could find a reason to blame the weather, my parents, complete strangers, and more often then not Stacy for any sort of failings I may have been encountering.

I could play hard done by, cheated, done wrong and the victim as long as I didn't have to take responsibility for my problems - everything would be A-Okay.

But that way of behaving comes with a price - totally lack of control. You begin to believe the path of your life is being completely determined by outside factors, that you're just the puppet while someone else controls the strings.

It was once I began to pay attention to the feelings of guilt I had when not taking any responsibility that I realized I was only lying to myself.

Now, when I feel an excuse coming on, I pause and think 'What could I have done differently?'

By carrying the burden for my mistakes I now, not only, learn from them, am also freed from them.

No comments: