Monday, February 23, 2009

Not My Cup of Tea

makes me happy.



The other day, while driving to the grocery store, an Easy Listening Could Be Made On My Home Computer kinda song came on the radio and the word hate, along with a couple other choice ones, popped right out of my mouth.

A moment of silence passed before I turned to Stacy and said, "I think I'm going to stop using the word hate."

All of a sudden I realized, it just doesn't feel good to hate things - anything.

What a downer reaction, clearly loaded with baggage about how my taste is somehow superior to someone else's.

Now, with this being said, don't bank on me liking everything either. I still think it's important for every individual to have their own personal inclinations and preferences, that's what makes us each unique, I just don't think it's necessary to hate.

So, instead of hating, I'm trying, "It's just not my cup of tea" on for size.

After all, is a cup of tea ever really offensive? Like most things in life aren't ever created to hurt, harm, or horrify, they just are... are for some - and not for others and that's just fine by me.

As my grandma used to say... "If we all liked the same things there would be line ups everywhere." So please, carry on enjoying whatever type of music is your cup of tea, leaving the Animal Collective ticket cue shorter for me.

3 comments:

Wondering Woman said...

What a great way to look at it. I've had the same feelings you did but mine all ran negative so I couldn't come up with a more positive way to look at things. More proof that negativity gets you nowhere...... I'm going to borrow your line and see if I can recondition my thinking.

© Nicki Ward said...

Bright Blessings to you both. In this and previous posts, I love the sense of a steady "drip" of good energy. Although grandiose efforts often receive the most attention - I firmly believe that perseverance and quiet authenticity... are healing ... and heroic....xoxo Nicki.

Anonymous said...

I had the same realization a while back. I used the word hate for something and felt this enormous negative... energy? weight all of a sudden at the strength of that word? It was something, and I didn't like it. I choose to no longer use it. I suppose it's just a word, and I've given it extra meaning. If anything, I've come up with creative ways to say that I don't like something... which allows for thinking before speaking... always a good practice.