Thursday, April 9, 2009

Creating My Own Snapshot Of Success

makes me happy.



I read this Ernie Zelinski quote today while riding the subway and think my inside voice might have blurted out "Oh yeah!" aloud.

The most creative shortcut to success is to reevaluate what success means to you.


I think I figured out this one a few years back when I discovered it wasn't things that made me happy.

No - somehow I kept failing to see how a luxury car, a big house or designer brands could fill my heart with joy. So, I took the time to ask myself what did success mean to me. What was it I was really striving for in life, that once achieved, would allow me to feel like a success.

I'm sure, if we all did this simple exercise, of defining what success means to each of us personally, we'd all have different definitions. And that's a good thing!

I won't bore you with my entire definition but I will say, it does include the word time a lot more then it does the word thing, and relationships more then money.

And true to the quote - I became an overnight success.

2 comments:

Suze said...

I never looked at it that way. I'm going to get to re-evaluating.

Anonymous said...

I struggle with this all the time, enough so that when I read this post I got teary eyed because of my struggle; and because of my happiness for others that they are able to achieve this for themselves. You both make it seem effortless (here on your blog).