Thursday, August 6, 2009

Heirloom Tomatoes

make me happy.



Both Kevyn and I love heirloom tomatoes.

For me, it's not only because they are a visual feast for my eyeballs, or because of their unique flavours, or because they've been allowed to ripen on the vine, there is still another, even better, reason why I love these little buggers.

It's Michael Pollan's - In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto
As an individual who's constantly trying to live the most conscious life I can; which would of course include conscious eating, this book brought ideas, concepts and theories across my mind which it had never seen before.

For example, do you ever stop to think why all the produce in our big box grocery stores looks the same? Because it is! We generally eat the one or two varietal of any single vegetable that grows the easiest, fastest, and largest.

Good for business - bad for us.

As I'm sure you could have guessed; easiest, fastest and largest often equals - the smallest amount of nutrients.

With one look at a bowl heirloom tomatoes - the variety is undeniable, not only for our eyes and taste buds but also for the vitamins, antioxidants and nutrients our body is about to receive.

2 comments:

Gwen said...

*droooooool*

The corners of my mouth just flinched, anticipating the copious amounts of acid and salt that I would consume if I had those right now.

Enjoy!

kate said...

Yum! That looks delicious!

I just wanted to emerge from almost a year (more, maybe?) of lurking to wave hello and wish you luck and joy this weekend if you happen to have your baby! (Or maybe that's happening right now!) :)

I *love* this blog. Seriously.ppo