Tuesday, September 8, 2009

How We Call Her

makes me happy.



So I thought I'd take some time this week to answer a few of the questions you've left in the comments section or emailed me about.

Probably the most asked question has been about her name.

Yes, Byrdie is pronounced bur-dee, like the creature with wings.

I believe I stumbled upon it in a Vogue magazine and it was love at first sight.

As with so many other things in my world - style, fashion, furniture - I have a soft spot for the old fashioned, nick names included. When two of my best friends named their daughter Elizabeth, I immediately began calling her Betty. Introduce me to a Dorthy and she'll be my little Dottie. So I suppose Byrdie's legal name should be Bertha but, I'm sure you've learned by now that Kev and I aren't too into following The Rules so we skipped the formalities and went straight for the fun stuff.

It was as appealing to Kev as it was to myself and neither of us ever looked back.

Byrdie's middle name is Kevyn's last name and her last name is mine. As my dad's two brothers never had children of their own, the Foley name was set to end with Kelly (my sister) and I. Years ago I mentioned to Kev that if we had children I'd love to give them my name. He had no problem with it as he has two brothers to carry on the their namesake and because that's just the kinda guy he is... the AWESOME kind.

And with all that said and done I've taken to calling her The Byrd and I'll more often then not hear Kev calling around the house, "Where's The Critter?!?"

Cause you know it's not so important what we call her as it is how we call her.

And that's always with love.

9 comments:

The Maiden Metallurgist said...

What a sweet smile!

i am playing outside said...

your family makes me ooze joy. and i think the name is perfect for all the right reasons. and my mom's name is Betty :D

Gretta said...

I think it was Byrdie Bell (in Vogue), and I had the SAME reaction! When I saw that's what you had named your little bundle I shrieked with joy and thought "totally perfect for those two".

Suze said...

Love her smile!

kate said...

love! love! love!

Lucky critter, she is.

Tammy said...

I think that is about the nicest post EVER! Your closing line was very cool. Have tears in my eyes.

Mada from Minnesota said...

Beautiful!

Cellar Door said...

I know just what you mean! We used to call Zelma "the little volcano," (because you never knew when she would explode!) but with love, of course. We wouldn't have had her be any other way.

She already seems like a Byrdie, like it suits her quite well.

Andrea said...

I just stumbled upon your blog and I'm totally digging it! Your little Byrd is very adorable!