Friday, September 18, 2009

A World of Firsts

makes me happy.


As you can imagine, when you have a child you enter a world of firsts.

Of course there are the thrilling and monumental ones everyone thinks of - first smiles, first steps, first words. But, as I am now learning, when you have a child you experience a first almost every single day.

For example, this is the first time in my life that I've had a coffee everyday for three weeks in a row.


For the first time in eleven years the word 'divorce' may have slipped out of my mouth.

Note: We now realize that was a result of Hormoons - a wicked combination of a new mother's hormones raging on the same day of a full moon.


And then there was the first time I stared at her for an hour and thought only five minutes had passed.

Ready for a million more!

5 comments:

CoffeeJitters (Judy Haley) said...

ahhh... parenting, the highs are higher and the lows are lower, but for the most part this roller coaster is more up than down. have fun! :)

Stephanie said...

I've read your blog off and on for a while now, but have never commented. (I came to you via a comment you left on The Sartorialist. I live a completely different life from yours (though I was born and raised in Toronto) and thought, "Gee, why are these people always taking pics of themselves?" But this site is infectiously joyous. Although not a parent, by choice, myself, your posts about your experience are terrific. Keep up the great, life-affirming work!

Paula said...

Ahh Kevin as you know, I prefer to share the satirical side of parenthood. I am often find myself trying to show you a more Al Bundy view of this duty in life that we are by nature drawn to. I of course only speak of these thing out of jest, having 3 boys requires a slightly warped mind and ability to think things could be worse. So here are my top 5 non traditional firsts (these will be serious ones, obviously there are the basics, smile, open eyes, etc)
1. The first time I played hot wheels
2. The first time I caught each of my boys putting shaving cream on there faces
3. The first time my son slept at a friends house
4. The first time they called me by themselves
5. The first time they beat me in a video game

And now for something completely different...

Some other first for you to think about
1. The first time your daughter maxes your plastic shopping
2. The first time a younger version of you shows up un his rag top jeep to study
3. The first time you get a $300 cell phone bill (not yours)
4. The first time you've had a coffee every morning for 15 years
5. The first time your daughter drops YOU off at something.

Hope you got a chuckle.... I always check your blog, but figured I'd give you another first.

Meghan (Making Love In The Kitchen) said...

I'm sure Megs has warned you about the scary combo of rebalancing hormones, lack of sleep, coffee and toddler-style tantrums. The adrenals are crying out for some love and support just like the wee little one- feed'em some vitamin c and B5, a little passion flower is added zenness.

Kat said...

It was probably the coffee combined with lack of sleep