Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Getting Out of Nature's Way

makes me happy.



Today, while grocery shopping, instead of listening to some tunes on my iphone, I chose to listen to the audio book my father in-law gave me for Christmas, The Seven Spiritual Laws For Parents: Guiding Your Children to Success and Fulfillment by Deepak Chopra.

Within the first five minutes of listening these words lovingly sang to me...

Many People mistakenly believe that success is material. That it can be measured in money, prestige, or in an abundance of possessions. The success we want our children to achieve has many non material facets as well. It includes the ability to love and have compassion, to feel joy and spread it to others, knowing that your life serves a purpose, and finally a sense of connection to the creative power of the universe. If the meaning of your life unfolds to you everyday, in simplicity, wonder, and surprise, you have achieved success. Every child's ability to feel wonder, in the face of everyday existence is the surest proof we have that nature wants us to be successful. It is in our own nature to respond to life with joy.

That's what I'm saying!!

I think I'm going to like this book... a lot.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Stacy & Kevyn,
I've bene reading your blog for months (Congratulation on Byrdie - she's every bit as lovely as her parents) and I've been wondering... How is it that you came to embrace your "life philosophy" (i.e. happiness is a choice)? And how did you decide on careers that gel with your beliefs? Any input would be appreciated - I aspire to be more like the both of you with every new post you write.

...love Maegan said...

I think I have to get that book. That photo is amazing ;)