Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Working Our Plan

makes me happy.


As you know I went back to work last week.

When Kev and I found out I was pregnant we worked really hard to save up enough money so I could stay home with The Byrd until January, focusing solely on her and not what was in our bank account. Come January the plan was always for me to go back to work part-time, 2 or 3 nights a week.

While it seemed like a smart, well thought out plan, when I had the baby, second thoughts seemed to creep up on me.

"There is no way I can leave this helpless little bundle of love - how could Kevyn possibly deal with her constant needs and how could I possibly pump enough milk to meet her demands?!?" Were the thoughts that kept coming to mind... frequently.

But I'm nothing if I'm not a believer and I believed I could figure out a way to make it work.

So, we began, from day 1, having the baby sleep in her crib. While I love the idea of the family bed, I knew this wasn't an option for us. After all, if I was going to rely on anyone else to come over and take care of her the last thing I wanted was for them to have to crawl into my bed to get her to sleep.

Then around 6 weeks we began establishing a bedtime routine - 6:30 bath, 6:45 eat, 7:15 sleep. Once in bed for the night there have only been a handful of times that the baby has left the nursery before she wakes in the morning (usually around 7am). That meant a lot of soothing, diaper changing and nursing in the complete dark BUT, it worked. While Byrdie can now sleep from 7:15pm until 3am, nurse, and go right back to sleep until 7am, even if she does wake for an extra feeding or because of bad tooth pain (she got her first tooth last week!) we can still back in her crib and asleep fairly quickly once her needs are met.

The other thing Byrdie and I worked on during these past few months was spreading her feedings out so she could easily go 3 1/2 to 4 hours between feeds. This was important to me because it would mean I could time everything so I would only miss one feeding while at work, which in essence would mean less pumping while still maintaining my milk production.

And with all that said, being back at work ROCKS! I'm telling you, slinging champagne again part-time has got to be one of the most perfect mommy jobs. Not only is my time away from Byrdie while she's awake very minimal, when we're together the next morning I've got so much more to talk to her about.

Now we're talking Bordeauxs instead of bottles, I'm telling her about the kind and funny people I get to work with, and all about interesting and insightful regulars whom I serve.

Which brings me to the point of this post. While chatting with one of my most favourite guests at the bar on Saturday night, she asked me how everything was going as a new mom and happy to share with me her tips, experiences and stories of what life was like for her when raised her babies. The thing that stuck with me the most about our conversation was how she was quick to point out and emphasize the point, "It's whatever works for you."

I couldn't have said it better. While I'm happy to share with you here what we've been up to these last 5 months, I in no way, shape or form, believe it's the ONLY way to raise a child, it's just simply what works for us.

Happy parents, happy, healthy babies - it's all that really matters!

2 comments:

Suze said...

I can't believe its been five months already! Time flies my friend!

Kristen Gale said...

great post.