Monday, February 22, 2010

Living The Dream

makes me happy.


I'm currently reading Aldous Huxley's, Island.

I have the same appreciation for James Cameron's vision of Utopia in Avatar as I do for Huxley's in Island. Though I do have to admit, the fantasy of humans, albeit only a small group of them, creating Shangri-La right here on Earth - as they do in Island, as opposed to on a planet far, far away, does hold an even more special place in my heart.

Here one of residents of the island (Pala) shares with a European visitor one of the reasons why their society succeeds...

"No Alcatrazes here," she said. "No Billy Grahams or Mao Tse-tungs or Madonnas of Fatima. No hells on earth and no Christian pie in the sky, no Communist pie in the twenty-second century. Just men and women and their children trying to make the best of the here and now, instead of living somewhere else, as you people mostly do, in some other time, some other homemade imaginary universe. And it really isn't your fault. You're almost compelled to live that way because the present is so frustrating. And it's frustrating because you've never been taught how to bridge the gap between theory and practice, between your New Year's resolutions and your actual behavior."

That last line, "...you've never been taught how to bridge the gap between theory and practice, between your New Year's resolutions and your actual behavior" really hit a chord with me.

Can't you just feel that very pain in the majority of the human race?

I know we can learn to live the theory - don't you?

2 comments:

Kwil said...

It would definitely be nice, yes!!! I am intrigued by this little excerpt. Sounds like an interesting read.

Kate said...

This comment has nothing to do with the post...

THE TEETH!!

So cute!