Monday, January 10, 2011

New Views On Old Thoughts

make me happy.


I'm currently reading a most awesome book that my buddy Rob gave me for Christmas, The War of Art - Break Through the Blocks and Win Your Inner Creative Battles by Steven Pressfield.

Here are a few of my favourite bits thus far...


Aspiring artists defeated by Resistance share one trait. They all think like amateurs. They have not yet turned pro.

To be clear: When I say professional, I don't mean doctors and lawyers, those of the professions." I mean the Professional as an ideal.



Someone once asked Somerset Maugham if he wrote on a schedule or only when struck by inspiration. "I write only when inspiration strikes," he replied. "Fortunately it strikes every morning at nine o'clock sharp."


To the gods the supreme sin is not rape or murder, but pride.



The professional cannot live like that. He is on a mission. He will not tolerate disorder. He eliminates chaos from his world in order to banish it from his mind. He wants the carpet vacuumed the threshold swept, so the Muse may enter and not soil her gown.


Basically a whole book dedicated to the notion... excuses are weak.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is a most awesome book. Great gift!! Enjoy!