Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Beefing Up Her Fries

makes me happy.



My Byrdie is a bit of a particular eater which has proven to be much more challenging then I had ever anticipated.

On top of that I seem to have a doctor who is more concerned with me getting x-amount of calories in her rather then focusing on getting higher nutritionally valued foods in her.

My compromise? Beef up whatever basic type food she will eat with as many nutrients as I can.

Exhibit A - the sweet potato fry. Sweet potatoes and yams have been a staple in Byrdie's diet since she was about 9 months old. And the sweet potato fry? Well that's just about her favourite food these days!

How I used to prepare her fries was the peel and chop up one sweet potato, toss it in a wee bit of olive oil, bake at 400 for 20 minutes, flip them and then check on the every 7 minutes or so until done.

Now I begin the same way but I also add some nutritional yeast while tossing them in olive oil, and after 20 minutes of baking, I flip them sprinkle some chopped up swiss chard, ground flax seeds and white sesame seeds on them.

Win - win, right? Calories and nutrients.

1 comment:

LisaG said...

How does she feel ahout avocado? I have 3 kids, all on the skinny side and the youngest (17 months) didn't gain between 6 and 9 months of age. I gave him an avocado a day and he put on 3lbs in a month and a half!
I also have had to add smoothies with full fat organic yogurt and yummy fruit as well.
Good luck momma, I know how hard it is to have a picky eater. I've always felt as long as they *are* eating they will get everything they need within the course of the week. Sometimes dr's are a little too strict.