Friday, August 26, 2011

Catching Before Throwing

makes me happy


We finished our regular season of softball in 2nd place this year.

It's our best finish yet.

Playoffs are on Sunday and I'm totally stoked. I'm sure it's very silly to be this pumped for a few games of softball but... I am.

It's had me thinking about this conversation between Oprah and Eckhart Tolle...



ECKHART TOLLE: There was a Zen master, he was watching somebody in a competition, archery, and a man was trying hard to win this competition, but he couldn't make it and then somebody asked the Zen master, "What's he doing wrong?" And the Zen master said, "His need to win drains him of power."

OPRAH WINFREY: Wow.

ECKHART TOLLE: And so his need to win in some future, he wants to have some future moment where he's going to be fulfilled.

OPRAH WINFREY: Wow.

ECKHART TOLLE: So his attention is not totally in the now. So the now, where all power resides…

OPRAH WINFREY: Wow.

ECKHART TOLLE: …this power that resides in the now cannot flow then into what you are doing. The openness isn't there. Because to have mastery in any endeavor, whatever it is, you need to be total in what you do.

OPRAH WINFREY: That's what athletes know, the great ones.

ECKHART TOLLE: Yes. They, and then they, when they enter it they call it "the zone."

So basically on Sunday, I'm planning on catching the ball, throwing the ball, hitting the ball and running the bases to the best of my ability and just see where that lands me.

No comments: