Thursday, August 23, 2012

Learning Like Her

makes me happy.


While the girls napped this afternoon, correction - while Stevie napped and Byrdie played quietly by herself (her other option if she's not going to nap) this afternoon, I prepped some burgers for dinner tonight and watched a couple TED talks on my computer.

Today I searched talks about 'children', 'cause, well, you know, I've got two of them and sometimes think I should get some sort of clue as to what I'm doing over here.  And that's how I stumbled upon Alison Gopnik's : What do babies think?

I love how she commends babies thought processes, even compares it to the thinking of the most brilliant scientist, and suggests that adults could benefit from a little more baby thinking.

How? By thinking and behaving like we do when we travel to a new city, or when we fall in love. It's those moments when we allow our consciousness to expand rather then contract.

In Alison's words; "What's it like to be a baby?  It's like being in love in Paris for the first time after you've had three double espressos."

Let's do that!

No comments: